Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

      Another year of my life has come and gone. I have to say that it is OK. I wrote in someone's birthday card this week that was turning 40 that  "after years of experience, getting old is not all bad." Diana and I laugh a lot about how our perspective on different things have changed as we have "matured."
     I read an editoral in the newspaper about Will Rogers thoughts on growing older. These were several that I can relate to:
  • The older we get, fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
  • One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young.
  • Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.
     When I was a young teacher I was concerned about the clothes that I would be wearing to school. A great deal of emphasis was spent on shopping sales for clothes and shoes.  Kids, I know you have many memories of the Saturday morning shopping excursions. Chad, I know this is when you got the infamous beating with the high heel shoe. However, now I am not concerned so much about whether the clothes are cute and stylish, but that the body is covered. Mr. Rogers, I understand about being comfortable. No more high heels and pointed-toed shoes for this lady!
    The reason I do activities, whether it is traveling, eating, sleeping, or doing something crazy, is because "I CAN." I just heard a Hall of Famer say that "life is a gift", which leads me to my last thought on aging. I have to mention how much God has blessed me in my life - so that "I CAN". I give God all the glory for the years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment